The handshake is not a political party, says Ruto

Deputy President William Ruto has said that the handshake between President Uhuru Kenyatta and ODM leader Raila Odinga will not affect his presidential ambitions for 2022.

Speaking to NBS Television in Uganda, the Deputy President said he is focused on being the fifth President of Kenya and is determined to take over from Kenyatta if the Jubilee party settles on him as its presidential candidate. "The handshake, is not a political party. Uhuru and I belong to Jubilee, Raila Odinga to another party. There can never be any confusion when it comes to matters 2022. I am the front-runner. The handshake does not bring any new context to this."

Pic courtesy

Ruto used the interview to highlight gains that the Kenya government has achieved in service delivery including education, electricity provision and in deepening democracy.

The DP who was in Uganda under the personal invite of President Yoweri Museveni commented on African political leaders who overstay in power thus undermining democracy. "I've a problem with people imagining that they're the only ones who can lead. I think we've enough Africans who can lead... If you can't put your ideas into 10-yrs in a term then even if you're given a century you will not do anything different. This is ironical considering that his host,Museveni has changed the constitution and reigned over his opponents to cling onto power. The DP called for the depersonation of politics.

Asked if he would regret anything in his political life if his career ended, Ruto said that, "If my career were to end today, I would walk home satisfied. I could have done better but I would not begrudge anybody. I would comfortably say I have made my contribution. But, given an opportunity, I could make an even bigger contribution."

However, Ruto has sent tongues waging with his comments during the interview that he takes his children to public schools, a complete lie as it is in the public domain that his children attend private schools and universities.

Comments