"I was blind but now I see!" Rosemary Odinga

Former Kibra parliamentary seat aspirant Rosemary Odinga has fully regained her eyesight after going partially blind in 2017. The eldest daughter to ODM leader and African Union High Representative for Infrastructural Development Raila Odinga revealed this to excited congregants attending Christmas mass at St Peter's ACK Church in Bondo.

Rosemary who was in the company of her father, Siaya Senator James Orengo and a few Members of Parliament moved the congregation as she recalled her most trying moments during the illness while at the same time thanking Kenyans for standing with her. "People would see me and think I was able to see because my eyes were ‘wide open’. I am grateful for your prayers and support during those difficult times," she said.

Pic courtesy

Rosemary fell ill few months to the 2017 general elections after surviving a stroke that left her partially blind. Before then she was actively involved in grassroots mobilisation of voter registration in Kibra constituency where she had declared interest to contest as Member of parliament. The seat was then held by the late Ken Okoth who succumbed to cancer in 2019.

During an earlier TV interview Rosemary talked of the highs and lows that she encountered as she battled the illness. "I draw strength from my daughters. It is because of them, I’m alive. I said to myself, if I give up now, what am I teaching them? Am I teaching them that whenever you have a hiccup in life to give up? And I said No! I have to continue and try and be successful."

Her father has also openly shared with the public the challenges they have endured and the breakthroughs they have encountered as they sought treatment for Rosemary. “It was a major drawback. It hit me like a thunderbolt. We were flying to Turkana for a campaign rally when my other daughter Winnie broke the news that Rosemary had fallen ill in Naivasha,” he once spoke in an interview.

Kenyans have received the news of her recovery with excitement.On twitter, @danny_njugush wrote,"A Christmas miracle 🙏."  @NickSalesGuru "I think the holy book has a better word for such a wonderful occurrence."  @spyegon posted "God is great!"

Comments