Healing From The Wounds And Horrors Of War


She was just 20 years old when the Liberian civil war, one of Africa’s bloodiest, broke out. The war claimed the lives of more than 200,000 Liberians and further displaced a million others into refugee camps in neighboring countries. I sat down with Korto Williams, a survivor of the war and whose soon-to-be-released book of poetry ‘INAPPROPRIATE MEDLEY’ captures the pains and memories of the civil war.

 Please introduce yourself and give us a brief background of your work as a feminist activist. 

I’m a Liberian feminist activist. My work entails working with women and demanding for their rights without apology. I’m a survivor of 14 years of civil war and as a result of going through the war, I’ve come to my writing from the perspective of being able to survive hurdles and checkpoints. In life, there will always be checkpoints such as civil wars and violations of other people’s rights. I use my poetry to heal from my war wounds. It has taken you 13 years to write this book of poetry INAPPROPRIATE MEDLEY. 

Please tell us what informed your decision to write it and what you hope to achieve with it? 

There weren’t professional counselors in Liberia in the early 2000s that could provide counseling and community health mental services to survivors of the war to help them relieve the horrors of the war. I decided to start putting down my emotions on paper to help me deal with the painful past. I felt this would help me get over my pain as I was trying to heal by myself. During the Beijing +25, I was working with 150 African women on a book project. The leader requested that we send samples of our writing to her for approval. While in the university, I had written about 25 poems which I had saved on my laptop. Some were badly done and some were impressive. So I sent her the poems and I was amazed by her feedback. She said that she was moved by the war poems and she advised me to start professional writing. That kick-started me on this project. My interest in writing a book was not a book of poetry. I had intended to write a book but I held back because I felt the information in there was very personal. I’m still working on it and I plan to launch the book in a year. INAPPROPRIATE MEDLEY has 30 poems and this is symbolic because when I realized I was going to put the book out, I realized this is the 30th anniversary of the war. The book has input from other Liberians who survived the war and I felt this was important so that I could also share their experience on survival. I did one of the poems with my son during the lockdown.

With the devastating 14-years armed conflict in Liberia that mostly affected women and children, did Liberian women play any role in ending the war in such a patriarchal society?

One of the major things was the realization of the resilience of Liberian women. We were conditioned to understand that women belong in the domestic sphere- taking care of the home, children, and doing farming. Women played a supportive role during the war. They formed a collective with a key message, “We are tired of the violence, rape and the checkpoints”. Hundreds of members dressed in white and demanded peace on the streets of Monrovia until the war had ended. Women played an active role in advocating for peace, specifically through organizations such as the Liberia Women’s Initiative (LWI), which was created in 1994. Liberia is a deeply patriarchal society but perceptions were changing when war came. Both women and men were threatened by the war and there was a shift in how people thought about women. It became clear that women were playing a key role in the attainment of peace. Strong public buy-in, supportive regional and international actors, strong women’s groups, pre-existing personal networks, and regional women’s networks all contributed to women’s influence on the talks. Women began getting plugged into peace processes such as the Maputo protocol and Beijing +25. This meant that we had a global international back up to guarantee comprehensive rights to women, including the right to take part in the political processes, to social and political equality with men, and the right to reproductive health. The election of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf in 2005 helped women become more aware of their rights. Liberian women and girls are well aware of their rights but it is still difficult because of the patriarchal values around politics and there is still a struggle for women to realize their rights. We must challenge patriarchy by putting a targeted focus on empowering women in all spheres. 

What was the most difficult image to paint in words? 

The most difficult was realizing that I’m a survivor of a war that saw 250,000 Liberians killed. I sometimes pinch myself to wake up from the reality that I survived one of the worst civil wars in history. I think so much about the war survivors and how they have to put up a smile to appear normal despite the mental health deterioration they have gone through. I recall an episode at one of the checkpoints; I was with my family and a lady soldier stopped me in my tracks and threatened to shoot me. My spirit left my body. It was the last checkpoint for us to get to the camp after walking for miles. I couldn’t understand how I survived all the checkpoints to come and die here? I was saved by a young man who bravely approached the soldier, kissed me and urged the soldier not to shoot me. “She is very beautiful. Don’t shoot her. She is going to be someone’s wife in the future.” he said. That was my grace moment. We must tell stories to let it go. Unfortunately, today, the ones who financed the war are our politicians. They are the ones that make laws for us.

Your many efforts in fighting for equal rights for women are well documented, especially in your contribution to feminist forums as well as through publications such as Beyond Mass Action: A Study of Collective Organizing among Liberian Women Using Feminist Movement Perspectives. Do you think the African continent has made strides towards increasing the representation of women in leadership roles and if not, what needs to be done? 

The right to participate in any political, social and economic activity is inherent. It is not a favor you’re giving women. Women bear the brunt and horrors of war, and this calls for women’s full participation in conflict prevention, resolution, and peace-building. To tackle the marginalization of women in public spheres we must decolonize the false narrative that the place of the woman is in the kitchen. This must be dismantled. We must put women in charge and empower them through entrepreneurial opportunities and educate them about their rights. The country is recovering after back to back civil wars and West Africa’s 2014-2016 Ebola crises. Liberia also held a referendum recently. 

What is your take on what this means for Liberia? 

Liberia is in a dire state because of the conflict foundation and corruption. War has had a negative impact and has affected our ability to mobilize and put our country on the global map. There is still a lot that needs to be done but we are a resilient people. We will rise. Different organizations continue to run gender and peace campaigns that seek to bring the voice of women at the table during major decision-making processes in peace-building. How successful have they been, and how can your upcoming book help in addressing conflict and women? The inclusion of women and gender issues is an essential component in the process of negotiating and implementing peace. I applaud organizations that have gone out of their way to push the women’s agenda in peace-building. Gender Is My Agenda Campaign (GIMAC) has done a great job centering women in peace processes and this allows member states to join the campaigns put up by the African Union. Women bear the greatest effects during war and they must be on the frontline in making change. We must tackle and dismantle patriarchal structures. We must not only make women count but also include them in all decision making processes. 

When are you launching your book and where can people pre-book?

 I’m launching my book on 19th December 2020 at The Library restaurant, Sarit center in Nairobi. My book will also be available at the Textbook center in Nairobi and on Amazon. I plan to bring people together to have a discussion and remember the 250,000 people who died. I also plan on urging Liberians back home to mark the checkpoints and put something on them in memory of the war.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mukami_Mungai 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kamiliah.mungai

Comments