She fell down seven times but stood up on the eighth time

Dr. Tayba Mohammed(left)
Pics courtesy 

On this International  Women's  Day, Dr. Tayba Mohammed Hatimy, a dentist-turned-social entrepreneur talked to me about her journey in overcoming depression, business failure, bad friendships and rebuilding herself to become an inspirational  figure to thousands of poor girls from the Coast region.

Who is Tayba Mohammed  Hatimy?

I’m the founder and Executive Director of Miss Baus Collection, an online fashion forward store whose mission is to empower youth and women through fashion.

I was born and raised in Mombasa county and I'm the eldest in a family of 5 children.
I graduated from Texila American University with a Doctorate in Dental Surgery.

When did depression kick in?

It was during my one year university  internship at the Coast Provincial General hospital. I had daily interactions with different patients  especially cancer victims. One minute a patient was full of life.  The next  minute they're  gone. Their pains and daily struggles in fighting the disease took a toll on me. My worst experience  was when  my grandmother was diagnosed with a rare cancer.  I hit rock bottom.  I took an year off and during that period I figured out that I would divert from my dental  career and focus on business.

That is how my business Miss  Baus collection  was founded. I started the fashion business with my personal savings of Ksh 20,000. I operated my business from home by posting my products on my social media pages. I stocked clothes, shoes, bags and bridal accessories.

Worst business mistake and falling back into depression 

I was new in business and I neither had a mentor nor a firm support system. I was selling my products on credit and this caused my business to nosedive. Bit by bit my creditors increased and my business went down. I fell back into depression. Further, some of my closest friends ridiculed me for leaving a promising career in Dentistry and focusing on 'selling bags'. The people who essentially would be the one guiding and pushing me to become better,  let me down. Many are the times I spent locked up alone in my room crying. My mental health deteriorated.

Bouncing back

My mother has been one of my best supporters and she was there for me as I went all through the pains.  She saw my tears, wiped them and comforted me like a mother would do.  I personally battled the depression. My mother advised me to get up and restart again. She counselled me. She told me that I'm a winner and winners never lose and losers never win.  That statement changed my entire life.

I was healing from depression one day at a time and I was able to restart my business and I opened a fashion shop in Mombasa. I travel to Turkey, India, Dubai, China and Oman to purchase beauty accessories.


I decided to use my instagram business page not only for business but to tell my story of recovery from depression to my followers and to help amplify voices of women and youth. I've received messages from ladies who admire my resilience and I also counsel those that send questions  about mental health. Today as we mark  International  Women's Day,  I'm addressing  a group of youths by sharing my recovery journey.

Fashion for impact

When I'm not doing business,  you'll find me working with Community Based Organizations in the Coast region to empower youth and women. Since 2017, Miss Baus Collection  has partnered with more than 9 Community Based Organizations to empower over three thousand youth and women against early marriages  through mentorship programs, interactive forums, sanitary pad drives,  entrepreneurship summits and orphanage visits.


What are some of the awards you've received in honor of your work? 

1. Best Small  Business 2019 award from the Kenya National  Chamber of Commerce  and Industry (KNCCI)
2.  Business Plan Award (Social Entrepreneurship) from Academy of Women Entrepreneurs (White House led Initiative)
3. Best Corporate Support 2019 from the MTY Organization.
4. Sponsor Support Award from the Coast Woman Magazine.
5. 100 Most Influential Kenyan Muslims from the Muslim Media.

Final words

I'm motivated whenever I influence  the life of another person positively. Be there to offer words of encouragement to a downtrodden  person, it might be the only act to save them from drowning. If you fall seven times, stand up on the eighth time.

Comments